Pesang Manok is a filling and delicious boiled chicken soup that’s perfect year-round! It cooks in minutes and pairs well with steamed rice for the ultimate comfort food.
Pesang manok is another type of the boiled soup dish popular in Filipino cuisine. Although similar to nilaga in preparation and ingredients, a few knobs of fresh ginger gives pesa an additional layer of flavor.
If you’re looking for an easy dinner for busy weeknights, this soup is the perfect dish to make. It uses simple ingredients you probably have on hand and cooks in under an hour.
All you do is simmer the chicken in water with fish sauce, ginger, onions, and peppercorns until tender, and then add the potatoes and vegetables to complete the dish. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how tasty it turns out with little effort.
How to serve and store
- Pesang manok is a hearty chicken dish often enjoyed during the cold rainy season as a delicious way to keep warm. It’s best paired with steamed rice.
- Store leftovers in a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Reheat in saucepan to 165 F or in microwave at 2 to 3-minute intervals, stirring well after each interval to distribute heat.
- 1 (about 3 to 4 pounds) whole chicken, cut into serving parts
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 pieces thumb-sized ginger, peeled and pounded
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small Napa cabbage, ends trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 bunch bok choy, ends trimmed and cut into pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, combine chicken and water. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top.
When the broth has cleared, add onions, ginger, peppercorns, and fish sauce.
Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Add potatoes and continue to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
Add bok choy and cabbage and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until tender yet crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.